Fully Funded Japanese Scholarship for Teachers


The Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) is offering scholarships to international teachers. The teachers include those who wish to research on education at Japanese higher learning institutions as Teacher Training Students.


Applicants must meet the following qualifications in order to apply for the scholarship:

  • They must be citizens of countries that have diplomatic ties with Japan (Check Japanese Embassies here)
  • Applicants with dual citizenship who also hold Japanese nationality and whose residence is outside Japan at the time of application should renounce the Japanese nationality to be eligible
  • Be born on or after 2nd April 1987
  • Must be university graduates or graduates of teacher training institutions
  • They must have worked as teachers at teacher training institutions or at secondary or primary schools in their home nations for five years or more by 1st October 2022
  • Have interest in learning Japanese language and culture
  • Ensure to return to their home country and continue teaching in their respective education institutions
  • They should be willing to proactively get involved in Japan’s communities and activities at schools during their study period in Japan

Scholarship Benefits

  • Monthly allowance of 143,000 yen and a supplemental regional allowance of 2,000 or 3,000 yen for studying in certain regions
  • Education fees including entrance exam, matriculation and tuition
  • Transportation to & from Japan

Application Process

Applicants should read the application guidelines carefully. They should submit the application form together with a recommendation letter in any format. Additionally, a certificate of health filled and signed by a professional medical doctor is mandatory. Other application documents include:-

  • Placement Preference Application Form,
  • Certified transcript from university or teacher training school,
  • Diploma from the last teacher training school or university,
  • Certificate of employment from present employer,
  • Certificate of Japanese language ability if applicable

The application documents should be submitted to the Japanese consulate general or Japanese embassy in the applicant’s respective country. Please note that the documents can be printed, typed, hand-written or filled using software applications then printed.

NB: For more information, please visit the official Study in Japan website https://www.studyinjapan.go.jp/en/smap-stopj-applications-teacher.html

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: