DAAD is offering full-time Master and PhD degrees to applicants from Sub-Saharan African countries in their own country (in-country) or another Sub-Saharan African country (in-region). These scholarships are part of DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme in Sub-Sahara Africa.
Sub-Saharan countries are located in the area of the continent of Africa that lies south of the Sahara. These are 46 out of the total 54 African countries. They include Angola, Kenya, Uganda, Malawi, Nigeria, Benin, Congo, South Africa, Cameroon etc.
Scholarships in this programme are awarded for preselected degrees in development-related and SDG-oriented fields. It promotes the mobility of researchers between Sub-Saharan African countries and capacity building at the destination universities.
Benefits of the scholarship vary per university and country, but the following aspects are generally covered:
- Tuition fees
- Research allowance
- Printing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Accommodation and basic needs
Current Open opportunities
- Ghana – West African Center for Crop Improvement (WACCI), University of Ghana. Course: Master Seed Science and Technology (Master)
- Malawi – Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR). Course: Aquaculture and Fisheries Science (PhD)
- Namibia – University of Namibia (UNAM). Course: Biodiversity Management (Master)
- South Africa – (In-Region scholarships only; In-Country scholarships for South Africa are addressed in a separate call for applications -> DAAD South Africa In-Country. Courses: Stellenbosch University (SUN) Molecular Biology and Human Genetics (Master, PhD) as well as Mathematics (Master, PhD). University of Witwatersrand, African Centre for Migration and Displacement (ACMS) Migration and Displacement Studies (master, PhD)
Deadline for application is the 15th of June.
For more information and application, visit the official website: https://www.daad.org.za/en/2022/03/08/in-region-scholarships-for-southern-africa-open-calls/